The best place to buy and sell used bicycles in Indianapolis is through Craigslist. If you don't want the hassle of selling your used bicycle this way, taking photos, posting the ad, renewing it if necessary, meeting with potential buyers and letting them test ride it, Circle City Bicycles can help. We will do all that for you. If we sell your bike, we offer two options:
- You can take 75% of the sale price of your bike in cash, or
- You can take 90% of the sale price as a store credit - This is a great option for any cyclist looking to upgrade to a better bicycle. We also offer deferred interest plans if you need to pay over six or twelve months. Be sure to check out the closeouts listed on the Circle City Bicycles main page. We usually have some really good deals there.
We don't want to sell junk bikes or bikes with brakes or gears that don't work. Circle City Bicycles is looking to sell bikes that will fetch a minimum of fifty dollars. We reserve the right to decline low quality bicycles that we don't think are salable. Here are a few tips for you:
- Be reasonable in your asking price. We have a pretty decent idea of what most bicycles will sell for. To get an idea what a particular bike is worth, we highly recommend checking out the Bicycle Blue Book website. Bicycle values are always very subjective, but the prices on bikes we have checked on their site looked very reasonable. We can't give estimates over the phone, but if you bring it by the store, we will try to give you an estimate.
- Higher end bicycles sell best in the spring. That's the time of year when serious cyclists are getting excited about riding again and looking to upgrade to a better bike.
- In late July and early August, a lot of college students (and parents of college students) are looking for something to ride around campus. They want reliable transportation, but not something expensive that will attract thieves. This is the best time to sell low-end bikes around $100.
Another place to buy and sell used bicycles is Local Bicycle Trader. You can list out bikes available in any state.
Higher end bikes can be sold through the Bicycle Blue Book website. You take photos of the bike and list it on their website. If someone buys it, you take it to one of their inspections partners, like Circle City Bicycles. We inspect it to make sure the buyer is getting what you listed in the ad, then pack and ship it. Bicycle Blue Book charges an 8% fee, up to a maximum of $250.
Most of the bikes we have sold have been fairly inexpensive ($50-200), but we have also sold an EZ-Tad Recumbent Trike for $1,200 and a Specialized Tarmac Elite for $1,500. Here are some used bikes that we have sold, along with the ad and photo that went into Craigslist.
Montague Urban Folding Bicycle
Sold for $200
Montague bicycle that folds around the seat tube - Doesn't fold as small as some, but it has full size tires. 20" chromoly frame, 26" x 1.9" tires, 21 speeds, SPD compatible pedals. Includes bag for carrying (Bag needs a minor repair to re-attach shoulder strap). Bicycle originally sold for $699 plus $100 for the bag.
Jetter Quest 23" Frame Mountain Bike
Sold for $125
The Jetter Quest is an early mountain bike from the 1980s. 26" wheels, Friction shifters, 6 speed freewheel, double crank, steel frame with a few scratches. Call Circle City Bicycles or stop by for a test ride.
2011 7-Speed Fuji Venture - Ladies Frame
Sold for $200
19" ladies frame, 7-speeds, includes Cateye Velo 5 computer, kickstand & water bottle cage. Give us a call or stop by Circle City Bicycles and take a test ride.
Raleigh Olympian Ladies Frame
Sold for $50
Used purple Mixte (ladies) 21.5" (54 centimeter) frame, 12 speed, kickstand, water bottle cage, mirror. Stop in at Circle City Bicycles (786-9244) for a test ride.
Trek 820 Mountain Track -18" Frame
Sold for $169
Early 1990s, Nice condition, 21-speed grip shift, Chromoly mainframe, Aluminum wheels with quick release, Cantilever brakes
EZ-Tad Recumbent Trike
Sold for $1,200
24-speed, steel frame, SRAM X-3 components, disc brakes. Includes rear rack, Avenir trunk bag (shown on seat) & lights (NiteRider Cherry Bomb rear light, Bell Ipulse 5 LED front light). Bicycle purchased new last fall. Original price of bicycle alone was $1400. Give us a call or stop by Circle City Bicycles for a test ride.
2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite
Sold for $1,500
56 centimeter carbon frame, Shimano 105 Components, Mavic Aksium Wheelset (owner upgrade), two water bottle cages. Bike originally cost $2,500 and wheel upgrade was another $300. This is a fast bike at a great price. Call for more info or stop by Circle City Bicycles for a test ride.
19.5" Redline Roam BMX Bike
Sold for $100
Rear V-brake, 8-10 years old. Call us at Circle City Bicycles or stop in for a test ride.
1998 Trek 6000 Mountain Bike
Sold for $200
Trek 6000 mountain bike, 20 inch frame, Rock Shox front fork, 21 speeds, new Shimano Tourney rear derailleur, kickstand. Sold for $560 in 1998. Call Circle City Bicycles or stop by & take it for a test ride.